[aprssig] broadcast?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 20 00:38:05 EDT 2005

Love it.. when we've beat our heads against the wall on technical issues,
there's always FCC rule interpretation to keep list traffic going..

Anyway, here's my response to:
Message: 4
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:53:12 -0400
From: "Rochte, Robert" <rrochte at gpacademy.org>
Subject: RE: > Subject: Re: [aprssig] Transmitting data to a hot

 >A transmission from a ham to a single, specific
 >non-ham is, as far as I understand it, also
 >against the rules .. THAT was the way the original
 >question was phrased. (something to the effect
 >of: "I want to transmit WX data to a hot air baloon")

I would have to agree - Part 97.3(a)(10) defines "broadcasting" as,
"[t]ransmissions intended for reception by the general public, either direct
or relayed."

The receiving isn't the problem, it's the "intended for reception" part...

However, a point to point transmission might not be "intended for reception
*by the general public*" .

I think the intent is that it's a one to many, with no particular recipient
in mind, that's meant here.  A one to one with a particular recipient
wouldn't be *broad*casting.

ANother example.. I transmit a signal to probe the ionosphere (as a HF
radar, for instance), and I have an unlicensed friend some several hundred
miles away receive it and send the data back to me.  Clearly not really
intended for the general public.