[aprssig] How to set up a radio

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at jnos.org
Wed Oct 19 17:01:51 EDT 2005

>> We were fortunate to have a D700 handy for the JOTA operation last
>> weekend.  It was quick and easy to turn on as a fill in WIDE1-1 digi.
>> Saved the day for our APRS operation.
>

> Sorry, I meant to qualify that as sucking at more than fill-in
> operation. They WILL do that, but they don't have the brains to do much
> more on their own, and they don't have the buffer to play well with a
> PC.

Yes.  Exactly!  Kenwood missed out (and is still missing out) on
providing the magic silver bullet of a frequency agile, multiband 9k6
data radio by leaving 25 cents of silicon out of their D7 and D700 radios.

> They're perfectly fine for what they do

Unless we consider the TXD on the D700...   :-(

> TASCO-bashing, but I don't think anyone's going to run a WIDE digi with
> one.

Scary thing is -- folks have...

The basic radio is very good.  Almost works well at 9k6 with an external
TNC.

> Scott

73
Bill