[aprssig] PHG and HAAT, more.

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 13:01:24 EDT 2005

One thing of note...

In the UK, there is no public "Free" source of maps to the sort of
detail and accuracy needed for this sort of application.  To get digital
map's the equivalent to OS 1:50,000 costs hundreds, if not thousands of
UK pounds.

The OS (Ordnance Survey) have successfully prosecuted some people and
agencies who were using unlicensed data commercially in the recent past
too.  Don't even bother them with the "we're only amateurs" argument, in
this country that holds for nothing.

The DOS based Terrain software had a very compact dataset describing the
UK in heights, and organised in a way that makes it easy to produce a
height profile for a straight line path, but I know not who owns it, or
where it came from, or if it would be suitable.

Ask Andy, G4JNT
http://www.btinternet.com/~g8yoa/geog/geog.html

Cheers...

Dave G0WBX