UI-View Bashing (was Re: APRS RF DX? (Was RE: [aprssig] APRS in Atlanta - flooding the network))

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Oct 12 13:58:27 EDT 2005

I wasnt "bashing" UIview, I was only making  these points.

1) UIview makes no provision to help users  enter
   their PHG data nor to transmit it
2) UIview does not display PHG circles or RF
    ranges of stations on the map so people can see
    what range coverage different stations have
3) There is an add-on to UIview that does this, but
    only a small percentage of people use it.
4) UIview is the most widely used program on APRS
    now and thus is what "most people" see

And the sum of all the above is not "bashing" UIview,
it is a statement of fact, that this leaves the APRS
network with out the fundamental RF real-time display
of RF coverage information that was fundamental to
the APRS  concept in the first place.

Just reminding people of the facts.
de Wb4APR, Bob

>>> ve7gdh at rac.ca 10/12/05 12:08 PM >>>
Bob WB4APR wrote on Oct 12 2005

> But UIview not only does not natively display PHG range circles
> on every DIGIi, it does not even provide a means to assure that
> every station includes its PHG in its beacon.  Thus most UIview
> users (most of APRS these days) are blind to the topology of the
> network and how to communicate point-to-point.

Windows doesn't natively support viewing text files but it comes with a
"better than nothing" text editor that works. I use a much improved 3rd
party text editor. OK... so UI-View doesn't "natively" display PHG circles.
SO WHAT????? There is a rather nice "add-on" that does. Do you think that
all UI-View users are too stupid to install the add-on program? It really
irks me when you make blanket statements like that. Do you perhaps think
that only users that are blind to topology gravitate to UI-View, or perhaps
ones that are less than intelligent? If you want to bash UI-View (or the
people using it) why don't you do it over on the UI-View list?

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH