[aprssig] APRS "text messaging" over long distances

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Oct 8 20:50:53 EDT 2005

kb8uih at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> I want an answer as well, there is a station about 120
> miles south of me that I gates traffic ocassionally
> from Texas and Oklahoma up here in Michigan.

If by "traffic" you mean messages, see my last post for an explanation.
It means mobile with matching calls are driving around in the igate's
local coverage area.

If, on the other hand,  by "traffic" you mean position reports, then the
igate operator:

A) explicitly set the igate to pass certain out-of-area posits to RF,
often at the request of a specific user; i.e. a local station wants to
follow the position of a friend, spouse, hurricane etc. elsewhere in the
country.

   --OR--

B)  is clueless and is dumping an Internet feed onto RF without
understanding that the RF channel has FAR FAR FAR less capacity than the
Internet. Flooding local RF with a full Internet feed will completely
monopolize and  paralyze a 1200 baud RF channel.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:              wa8lmf
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths