[aprssig] APRS "text messaging" over long distances

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Oct 8 20:40:48 EDT 2005

ik7565 at verizon.net wrote:
> Does every iGate put my message out

NO
> or are the iGates smart enough to know
> where we're located and only put out a message if it heard the recipient?
>
> Thanks, Ian N8IK

YES.   Each igate maintains a list of stations recently heard locally on
RF.  "Recently" usually means somewhere between 30 minutes and two hours
or so.  "Local" may mean direct or it may mean within one digipeater
hop.    Both are at the discretion of the igate sysop.

The igate monitors all messages from everywhere passing through the APRS
Internet system.   When it sees one addressed to a call matching one in
it's "recently heard" table, it captures it and transmits it out to RF.
  Note that even even when an igate is connected to an Internet server
filter port that limits the geographic area of POSITION reports, it will
receive and act on MESSAGES from anywhere.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:              wa8lmf
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths