Amateur? (Was RE: [aprssig] Igateing a Non Amateur)

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Oct 3 08:03:41 EDT 2005

On Oct 3, 2005, at 5:29 AM, Dave Baxter wrote:

> Really?   Lookup the dictionary definition of "Amateur"...
>
> http://www.bartleby.com/61/98/A0239800.html for example (beware of
> pop-up's)

 From that link, there are three definitions:

1. A person who engages in an art, science, study, or athletic
activity as a pastime rather than as a profession. 2. Sports An
athlete who has never accepted money, or who accepts money under
restrictions specified by a regulatory body, for participating in a
competition. 3. One lacking the skill of a professional, as in an art.

At the risk of being immodest, I'll discard the third definition. The
second definition very specifically applies only to sports. That
leaves the first, which says nothing about making money, only that it
is not done as a profession. Even if you insist on applying the
sports definition, the phrase "or who accepts money under
restrictions specified by a regulatory body" is significant. I do not
know about the UK rules, the FCC is the regulatory body in the US for
amateur radio, and they clearly allow people to make money with
amateur radio, just not by using the airwaves.

Furthermore, as I said the meanings of words shift over time. When
the phrase Amateur Radio was coined it had a different meaning, if
created today it might have been called "Enthusiast Radio". Many
people would like the name changed because of the shift in meaning
towards the third definition.

> In the UK at least, we are not permitted to make any profit or gain
> whatsoever as an "Amateur" in any field, be it technology, sport or
> art
> for example....  You can still be "Professional" in the way you go
> about
> it however.

Really, so Roger was breaking UK law by making money on UI-View?
Maybe he didn't die, the UK government arrested him and is holding
him incognito. No, wait, it is my government that does that ;-)

> I have no problem with providing (a) service, or any other amateur
> doing
> so.  But if you profit or gain from doing so (in the way that you more
> than cover your costs) you are not an "Amateur"...
>
> I am not talking companies here, just individuals.

The money made by companies goes to individuals. If it was that
simple, an athlete could simply form a company, have all the money go
to the company and still be considered an amateur.

I maintain there is nothing wrong with individuals making money from
amateur radio. Making money from something does not automatically
make one a professional (I just sold a one-time use of a photo of
mine (http://rocdocphoto.com/fav/fav-Pages/Image8.html -- thank you
Google Images!) to a corporation for their annual report for $250,
but that hardly makes me a professional photographer). Likewise,
making money does not automatically disqualify one as an amateur,
particularly if you keep in mind the earlier meaning of amateur as
enthusiast.

Steve K4HG