[aprssig] Igateing a Non Amateur - APRS Software

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Oct 2 16:05:46 EDT 2005

On Oct 2, 2005, at 3:14 PM, wa7nwp at jnos.org wrote:

> A better (financially rewarding) model for software development
> for Amateur Radio authors would result in more and better
> software.

I suppose there is a dollar value where this would be true, but I
don't see it happening in APRS. The potential payoff is too small to
attract those motivated by money. Besides, none of APRS was created
by people motivated by money. With the amount of work involved, I
doubt anyone has even made minimum wage off APRS.

If there is more and better software, I think it will happen the same
way it always has here, a motivated individual with a vision of what
they want to happen.

Steve K4HG