[aprssig] Igateing a Non Amateur

Mark White jmarkw at ec.rr.com
Sun Oct 2 15:53:03 EDT 2005

> I spent 6 nights eating  dinner with him on a Geek Cruise

Wow...a "Geek Cruise"...you're more a geek than I am.

> essentially the week evolved  as an extended debate between me and
> Richard, with some welcome help  from Eric Raymond, who was at the
> next table over,

ESR helped you debate RMS....who would've thunk?

> This has nothing to do with the GPL.

Yeah...I jumped the gun on that one.  Sorry...

> Read Stallman's writing carefully though, and you will see
> this is not his intent, rather he is working for a world where
> intellectual property owners are forced to release their work for the
> public good. He is totally oblivious to the fact that vast amounts of
> this intellectual property is created expressly for the purpose of
> creating wealth, and without the financial incentive it would not
> exist. A "GPL world" would very quickly stagnate intellectually, just
> as the Soviet Union world stagnated financially. There always will be
> a place for intellectual altruism, just as there is for monetary
> altruism, but it cannot be forced without dire consequences.
>
> Steve K4HG

Steve...thanks for a very enlightening response.  I suppose this thead
is getting too political, but I would be interested in reading more
about your ventures and viewpoints.  Post a website or blog if you have
one.

73 de KE4QKT
Mark