[aprssig] Igateing a Non Amateur

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat Oct 1 12:43:06 EDT 2005

On Oct 1, 2005, at 12:17 PM, VE7GDH wrote:

> However, 61N 149W is a very "even" lat / long and presumably
> fictitious. However... anyone willing to take the time to search
> the APRS servers and see which server "NITRUS" was connected to,
> and consult with the operator
> of  that server to track down the IP address that "NITRUS"
> connected from?

This is important, he has done NOTHING wrong. There is no legal
requirement that someone connecting to the APRS IS have an amateur
license. Even before the algorithm was officially made public
(perhaps 4 years ago if I remember correctly), the APRS IS was not
secure. In the early days of the APRS IS, I took a personal
responsibility to police the network and verify the security of the
hubs. In the very beginning, this was easy, as there were very few
client programs, and only my own code was a hub. The release of aprsd
complicated things since it was open source. The validation code was
distributed as a compiled module, but could be easily circumvented. I
continuously watched the hubs for any suspicious activity and to be
sure they accepted only valid validation codes. Even with automated
tools this was taking me upwards of 20 hours a week, and finally
reach the point I could no longer do it, there were simply too many
copies of aprsd out there.

I felt is was important for all IGate operators to understand that,
at least under US rules, they were responsible for the content of the
messages sent through their IGates, which is why I made the show of
publicly releasing the algorithm... the only thing worse than no
security is a false sense of security.

So just to be very clear... NITRUS broke no laws. From the transcript
provided at the start of the thread, it appears no laws were broken
anywhere. However, had NITRUS for example used profanity, it would
not be not him that broke FCC rules, it would be the IGate operator,
who accepts responsibility for the content of the message under the
"automatic digital message forwarding" rule.

Steve K4HG