[aprssig] Xastir install issues

Neil Johnson Neil.Johnson at erudicon.com
Wed Nov 30 22:48:44 EST 2005

Bill,

Having gone through all 2 billion messages on the APRS SIG, All I want
to say is.

!!!!! Xastir is not a commercial application !!!!!

It is developed and maintained by dedicated volunteers who are doing it
for enjoyment of creating the only open-source APRS "client" application
that I know of.

If it was a commercial product and didn't implement features it said it
had, then you'd have the right to complain.

Linux isn't perfect, Microsoft isn't perfect. But since it is their
blood, sweat, and tears that go into product, they get to pick the
operating system platform and tools to develop it.

They are not doing it to just satisfy your wishes. They have their own
set of priorities for the application. A binary distribution for
Microsoft operating systems is not on the list. Tough.

Personally I'm impressed that they (and others) took the time and effort
to find a way to make it work on Microsoft operating systems in the
first place.

If you can't get it to work with your operating system of choice or in a
way that suits your needs, then use another one of the many other fine
APRS client applications available.

If you want a binary distribution of Xastir with a "spiffy" and
"automagic" installation program for Microsoft operating systems, create
one yourself and contribute it back to the community.

It really irks me when people "demand" certain features from all
volunteer open source software projects. I just hope it doesn't cause
developers to grow tired of their whining and stop writing code.

You should read "Just for Fun" by Linus Torvalds.

Neil Johnson, N0SFH