[aprssig] Re: APRS Standard Connectors?

Neil Johnson Neil.Johnson at erudicon.com
Wed Nov 30 22:00:01 EST 2005

Bob,

It's just easier to short pins because the outer "shell" of the
connector is metal and the shape and size of the connector make it easy
to brush against the pins with the "shell".

The PS/2 connectors have a metal "shell" but the pins are seated deeper
in the connector so it's more difficult to short them.

I'll take quite a bit of the blame for the problem my self. I should
have powered down everything before reconnecting the GPS, the adapter
cable I built to convert from the accessory connector on my radio to the
DB-9 is way to short, and I should of put the TT3 in a different kind of
enclosure (No complaints about the blue box, but I realize now it wasn't
appropriate for my installation).

I guess I should have said that I don't have a problem with using a DB-9
connector as a standard for a data connector, just not for supplying power.

And John, thanks for the suggestion. I should have thought of that.

--
Neil Johnson, N0SFH