[aprssig] Xastir install issues

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Wed Nov 30 15:13:04 EST 2005

Dave Baxter wrote:
> Doesnt anyone here actualy listen.  I followed the instructions as far
> as they were shown.  Cygwin came up OK in the end (45 minute download),
> Xastir was also downloaded, but it does not seem to be installed.

Hi Dave!

The cygwin download/setup procedure asks you for two completely different
directories.  It asks first for the installation directory.  Then it asks for a
download directory where it can store all of the files until it is ready to
install.  The cygwin system uses a dependency mechanism during installation to
install things in the right order.  Thus, it needs to have everything downloaded
to make sure it calculates the dependencies directly.

If you look in the download directory, you will see .bz2 files (bz2 is a
compression implementation).  This can confuse you as to what is actually loaded.

If you go back from the lintronix cygwin install page to the winxastir page, you
will find links to a BasicInstall.txt link.  Go to that and find the section
titled "2. Run Xastir with Cygwin".  The directions there tell you how to
continue from the point of the cygwin install.

Gregg Wonderly