[aprssig] Re: APRS Standard Connectors?

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at jnos.org
Wed Nov 30 12:48:11 EST 2005

> > Many GPS devices expect to be plugged into
> > a PC, so they have a DB-9 series female on
> > the end of their cables.  So the standard APRS
> > GPS connector could be:
> >
> >    1     (DCD)
> >    2     Serial GPS data to PC
> >    3     Serial data to GPS
> >    4     Power 12 volts
> >    5     GROUND
> >    6     (DSR)
> >    7     (RTS) Suggested 5 Volts Power?
> >    8     (CTS)

This is scary to me.   I realize having the extra wires hanging
around is a pain, but it also prevents letting the smoke out when
accidentally interconnecting devices using different wiring schemes.

I guess if the pin is typically an output and the voltage available
would seem to be just a "stuck high/low" condition it would be fairly
safe.

Bill