[aprssig] Re: APRS Standard Connectors?

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Wed Nov 30 12:23:59 EST 2005

> Many GPS devices expect to be plugged into
> a PC, so they have a DB-9 series female on
> the end of their cables.  So the standard APRS
> GPS connector could be:
>
>    1     (DCD)
>    2     Serial GPS data to PC
>    3     Serial data to GPS
>    4     Power 12 volts
>    5     GROUND
>    6     (DSR)
>    7     (RTS) Suggested 5 Volts Power?
>    8     (CTS)
>    9     (???)
>
> Notice that Chris suggested pin 8 for 5V power,
> but since the PC is the DTE and the GPS plugged
> into the serial port is the DCE, then I think the
> PC should output the 5 volts on pin 7 which is
> an output from the PC and not pin 8 which is
> normally an input to the PC.  Did I get that right?

Works for me. I've never been able to get the story straight about how
RS-232 is represented on a DB-9. I don't mind adjusting a couple of
connectors to get caught up to the latest standard.

It would be really nice if the next rev of the OT/TT family
would implement it, especially since they're starting to
provide +5V for GPS units!

73 de chris K6DBG