[aprssig] Xastir install issues

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 30 12:16:00 EST 2005

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Bill Diaz wrote:

> If Roger helped you, why do disparage UiView so much?  Especially since
> Xastir has "install issues" and UiView does not.

And I helped Roger.

I don't believe I've disparaged UI-View in this discussion.  I never
said it didn't run well or install well.  I did say I wouldn't
recommend it and explained why.  I stand by that assessment.

I'm not the spokeperson for the Xastir project.  I did happen to
write the initial README.win32 that explained one method that I
accomplished an install.  It has worked for quite a few people.  I'm
now getting dinged heavily for it.  It certainly doesn't make me
want to redo any of it, rather I feel like abandoning Windows users
altogether and never picking up that mantle again.  Perhaps someone
else will come forward (who enjoys being struck about the head and
face with large wooden objects, anyone remember Steve Martin in
Little Shop of Horrors?) and will take that abuse from those Windows
users who care to give it.  Thrashing open-source authors who put in
their free time to help others is no way to motivate.  Look around,
I've put in my fair share.  And then some.

Get this through your head anyway:  Bring up such install issues on
the correct SIG.  This one isn't it.

I liked the summary that J. Lance Cotton just wrote.  That's pretty
much it.

CU,