[aprssig] Xastir install issues

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Tue Nov 29 07:14:52 EST 2005

Linux (well debian based linux) has the "apt-get" command.... installing
xastir is as easy as going to the command prompt and typing:

apt-get install xastir

linux will download and install a stable version of xastir for you.
It's really easier than windows.  The only oddity about it is that you
have to be a super user (admin).

If you want to install the sources, then you aren't a newbie (hi hi),
but that's still fairly easy thanks to CVS and sourceforge.  Many of the
stripped down versions of linux such as puppy which as I recall is
50megs total, do not have the GCC compiler built in.  I have recently
remastered the "hamshack hack" knoppix cd to include shapelibs of each
county in South Carolina and it still fits on a CD with room to spare.
Anyone wishing a copy, please contact me.

Wes