[aprssig] AGWTracker now with dynamic mapping capability built-in

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Mon Nov 28 10:35:33 EST 2005

I thought a few of you might be interested in trying out AGWTracker from
George, the author of AGWPE packet engine. I was interested in trying it
because I was a user of UI-View and want to move away from it since the
code is frozen, no further development and the source code having been
destroyed after Roger’s death (such as waste). Maybe you tried
AGWTracker in the past and did not like it because it did not include
dynamic mapping capability.

Well all that has changed now. George has added Virtual Earth and Google
mapping to the product. Now you can zoom in and out, up and down, and
side to side. And it even uses your old UI-View maps without having to
modify them at all. Move/Copy your UI-View map directory to AGWTracker
(or leave it where it is, it does not matter) and you can use your
entire UIV map investment.

When you consider how much is cost to get Precision Mapping, the
registration fee for AGWTracker at $49, it is a wash.

So far I noticed that is does some things better than UI-View, and
UI-View may have a few things up on AGWTracker (haven't found them yet,
just speculating). But since UIV is no longer being developed, this
gives some of us UIV users a place to go and a product that is being
enhanced and maintained.

George has set-up a directory where you can download his latest beta
version which is about to be released. He would just like some more beta
testers. Let him know what you think, and what enhancements you would
like. He is very responsive.

You can download it here:

http://www.elcom.gr/sv2agw/beta/

BTW, it does require that you use AGWPE (packet engine, which is free)
whether or not you use a TNC.

You can download the free AGWPE here:

http://www.elcom.gr/sv2agw/inst.htm

Have fun playing with this new and very exciting APRS program.

Duffy

www.wb8nut.com