[aprssig] Garmin eTrex (Yellow)

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 16:41:27 EST 2005

>> (The eTrex NO LONGER has any serial
>> NMEA support!, no APRS) and it (the

> Seriously!?  Not even the eTrex Legend?  Or just the yellow one?  What about
> the Geko?

AFIK (I have one!)  The basic Yellow eTrex, only has serial IO, using NMEA or Garmin formats, not USB.  It works very well with things like the TH-D7 and Ui-View etc, as well as all the usual mapping programs.  It does not have any map display, so no point in sending it any received posit's.

Works of external 3V power, or internal 2 AA cell's.  Is suposed to be waterproof, but not the battery cover, and I have doubts about the battery power feed into the case in that respect.  The main body is not openable without damage (it's welded) if it does object to a dunking.

If ayone has, or knows of where there is one, I'd like to source a "Power/Data/External Antenna" adapter insert (it replaces the battery pack) for an older Magellan GPS3000.

Cheers all..

Dave G0WBX.