[aprssig] RE: D700 Honda Odyssey Mounting Options

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Nov 15 11:00:43 EST 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Dave Baxter wrote:

> Beware of any inductive load dump high voltage splat there may be, when
> someone uses the seat motors!
>
> If you run a seperate power cable for the rig, including the -ve lead
> direct to the battery, remember to fuse the -ve wire too, or a loose
> battery ground strap (it does happen) can become very expensive when you
> next try to start the engine!..
>
> Sketch out the system wiring, you'll soon see what could happen....

I had this happen twice when I was in high school, to the car that
we kids drove to school, then to our parents' car.  I didn't
understand it back then, but I sure do now!

In the parents car the hot wire melted through a bundle of other
wires, causing a bit of a repair bill.  In both cases the smoke
filled up the interior of the car quickly and we had to vacate.
This happened on starting the car in each case.

One more fuse in the ground line would have prevented both of these
from happening.  I highly recommend it!  My current setup is two #10
wires going to the battery, or as close as I can get to it, plus an
inline fuse in each lead close to the battery.