[aprssig] SOS Radio

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Fri Nov 11 12:01:53 EST 2005

Andre PE1RDW wrote:
> If history is any indication I doubt it will even work, we had cb
> channel 9 as sos frequentie in the early days of cb, nobody was using
> that channel because they respected it, the result was that when someone
> placed an sos call nobody was there to respond and the sos caller moved
> to the calling channel 14 or the local channel.
>
> something that is probably going to work better is setting up an
> internet linked network using two or three channels with a fixed tone
> (unlicenced eqso and frn use chanel 5, 6 and 7 with tone 19 in the
> european pmr channels)
>
> Because pmr like frs  uses limited power with nondetachable antenas the
> range is small enough te prevent overloading of the network, besides
> eqso and frn (www.freeradionetwork.nl) communeties can also setup a link
> with teamspeak or other voip software but duplex systems would be best
> used in combination with a pmr/frs repeater.

Without trying to keep useful things from happening...

FCC part 95 devices are restricted in the US to not allow the connection of any
device not created by the vendor of the equipment, and licensed by the FCC.  The
text below spells this out.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW

From:
<http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=simple;c=ecfr;cc=ecfr;sid=acbcbae050c499f165c049f42d3bd07c;idno=47;region=DIV1;q1=family%20radio%20service;rgn=div5;view=text;node=47%3A5.0.1.1.5#47:5.0.1.1.5.2>

(a) You may only use an FCC certified FRS unit. (You can identify an FCC
certified FRS unit by the label placed on it by the manufacturer.)

(b) You must not make, or have made, any internal modification to an FRS unit.
Any internal modification cancels the FCC certification and voids your authority
to operate the unit in the FRS.

(c) You may not attach any antenna, power amplifier, or other apparatus to an
FRS unit that has not been FCC certified as part of that FRS unit. There are no
exceptions to this rule and attaching any such apparatus to a FRS unit cancels
the FCC certification and voids everyone's authority to operate the unit in the FRS.

(d) FRS units are prohibited from transmitting data in store-and-forward packet
operation mode.

[61 FR 28768, June 6, 1996, as amended at 68 FR 9901, Mar. 3, 2003]