[aprssig] Alinco or ??? + DSC/AIS questions

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Wed Nov 9 20:06:06 EST 2005

By Connected Mode I more or less mean talking to a Packet BBS.  You
need to have a buffer, something that the Alinco and the D700 seem to
have very little of.

You can use the DR135TP as a standalone tracker by plugging a GPS
directly into it and plugging it into a computer long enough to
program the tracker (It'll remember its settings after that).  I've
never actually tried it, but it's mentioned in the Alinco manual if I recall.

The DR135TP will work with XASTIR, because that's what we use
here.  It also worked fine for me with UI-View (I was working PCSAT
with it at one point).  I have no reason in the world why it won't
support APRS+SA, however the DR135TP does not seem to like KISS.  It
works momentarily if I recall, but it tends to suffer a seizure and
then it won't work after that.  It does however, work fine in
standard connected mode.

For APRS, either the D700 or DR135TP (the P comes with the EJ-41U TNC
accessory built in) will work fine.  Neither seem to work very well
for Packet BBS, and 9600 is probably suspect on both last I read too.

Hope this clears that up.

--Droo, K1XVM