[aprssig] MOSIS design experience

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Nov 3 15:34:05 EST 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> A friend of mine is looking for someone with
> MOSIS design experience.  Apparently this is
> an outfit in Calif that will produce chips for
> school projects very cheaply.  Using their
> software, you layout the chip and for under
> $100 bucks you get a custom chip?
>
> Sounds amazing to me... anyone?

VLSI-1 and VLSI-2 design class for my degree back in the 80's.  We
used MOSIS and some grants, designing some custom bit-slice
microprocessors.  I think it was more like $50,000 back then, but I
could be wrong.  I think we had five teams in our class and each
team designed a chip.  They worked as we designed them.  Pretty cool
stuff.  Ours were ceramic 64-pin DIP's.

I could point you to the professor at my school that taught that
class.  If he's still there.