[aprssig] New "closest symbols" feature

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Tue May 31 16:02:28 EDT 2005

Yes, good point Steve.  I fondly recall our local "paintball wars" using
APRSdos some years ago, where we would train on APRS use with symbols and
other map features, at the keyboard.  We'd hook and change users's houses
into slow sailboats heading for Hawaii, and Bomb and strafe stations with
Jets triangulating on their positions (with "tracer fire" showing on the map
too).  A hit might produce a big fire.  The trick was often to "duck" by
quickly shifting your home QTH target just out of reach in the nick of time.
The earthquake symbol overlaid on someone's QTH made a fine big "target"
symbol.  The atomic blast (large colored "areas") was an ultimate weapon.
Fun!  And the experience taught us a lot about how to use APRS and how
useful it could be.
Such "dithering" is frowned on by some these days, but less is learned about
what can be done with the map.  Some will resist anything not fitting their
idea of Amateur Radio _Service_, while others are more apt to think of it as
a hobby.

Still, the only real "rules" in APRS are those of the FCC.  The rest are
merely "conventions", but of course one of those FCC rules does require
"good amateur practice".
73, Cap KE6AFE

Good amateur practice:
http://tinyurl.com/bbhop   47CFR97.101(a)