[aprssig] New "closest symbols" feature

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue May 31 14:27:12 EDT 2005

On May 31, 2005, at 2:11 PM, Cap Pennell wrote:

> My closest IGates:
> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/symbol.cgi?icon=Iamp&limit=10&call=KE6AFE

This is worded incorrectly. These are IGates which are close to you,
but there very well may be others not included in this list because
they use a different symbol.

This is an important caveat...there is no requirement that an IGate
use I& as its symbol, and in fact MANY do not...for example IGates
are often combined with weather stations, and with some APRS formats
these MUST use the weather symbol, and even when not required many
do. I know of several IGates that in EOCs, these use that the EOC
symbol rather than the IGate symbol, which is wholly appropriate. In
fact, other than the wx station example I mention, I can't think of
another example where a symbol is mandatory for a particular sort of
station.

It is this reason that I had resisted the request to add a symbol cgi
in the first place, but ultimately there was a good reason to do so
which I couldn't argue with. Just please be careful with how you
interpret the data...

If you want to see a true list of IGates, you must monitor the list
looking for their callsigns following the q construct...

Steve K4HG