[aprssig] indoor tracking. RFID

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 31 14:22:37 EDT 2005

Here is how I envision that Ham Radio can use
these RFID tags:

We build these pocket-tracker type RFID=>APRS
translators.  They are simply the PIC and RF transmitter
of the Pocket Tracker, comnbined with the RFID reader
for our ARRL style RFID tags.  Depending on the
size of the reading device, these "translators" can
be mounted in any room or gate, or checkpoint
where we need to know where adjacent participating
hams are.

If it really works, we probably wont put all this
on the APRS channel which is really for actual moving
trackers, but an alternate channel will tell us
at a glance on a PC where all the participating
RFID hams are in the venue...

Maybe we can find an RFID device that has 4 bits
of input.  Then we can have it also SEND the same
APRS comment string and custom message string
that we can send from all kenwoods and Mic-E
devices as well....

And since the translators will put all this in actual
APRS format (but on the alt RFID channel) then
we can use our Kenwoods to monitor that channel
and show us on our HT's were all these RFID tracked
people are...

Does such a self-powered RFID with 100 foot range
exist?

Bob, WB4APR

>>> Robert Bruninga 5/31/2005 1:48:58 PM >>>
Steve,

I wonder who at ARRL might be interested in this
project.  Eventually it will be member services,
but it sure is a fantastic Emergency Preparidness
capability to be able to have APRS track ALL
HAMS at any event even indoors.  By simply
the RFID embedded into their optional
ARRL name tag.

I'm sure there is someone at ARRL that might want
to just ponder this idea...  Bob, Wb4APR

>>> bruninga at usna.edu 5/31/2005 1:39:51 PM >>>
Here is the ultimate indoor tracking plan:

With RFID tags getting down to less than $1
each, we get ARRL to make up ARRL Name
Tag badges with built-in RFID tags with our
callsigns in them.

We use the longer 100+ foot range models
that do not require external RF exciters, but
simply run from a small watch battery. (that
way you can turn them on and off for anonymity
as needed).

Then we attach a 100' RFID reader to a
Pocket Tracker TNC/Transmitter and a little PIC
firmware and we have it.  Anyone with their APRS
ARRL badge on will trigger a  packet when they
pass by this post.  We can put these APRS
translators inside every important rooom or
venue at the EOC or anywhere else and
always know who is where...

The reason for the ARRL involvement is for the
quantity discount... on 100,000 RFID tags.

Bob, Wb4APR