[aprssig] APRS LAT/LONG standards

Dixon, Tim tdixon at anteon.com
Tue May 31 10:08:08 EDT 2005

Not to belabor this point any longer, but that's the easiest way by far.

I had opportunity to do this over the weekend.  Someone called me with
coordinates to his home QTH.  He gave the location to me in decimal
degrees.  My GPSr was set to use DD MM SS.  A simple conversion in my
head while driving yielded a final "guesstimate" that ended up being
only 300 feet from his actual driveway.  Not too bad for quick and dirty
conversion.

Sorry for the delay in posting this, as I've been out over the weekend.
Just catching up.

73,
/tim

<Bob wrote>
As an educator, this pushes my button.  Dont learn formulas, learn to
think about what is going on.  Its a lot less to remember.  The only
thing you have to know is that there are 60 minutes in a degree.

If something is expressed  in minutes, then divide minutes by 60 to get
degrees.  If it is expresed in degrees, then multiply the fraction part
by 60 to get minutes.  Same goes for seconds.  Done.

Bob

<end quote>