[aprssig] ID vs NOID under the New-N Paradigm

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon May 30 09:56:11 EDT 2005

>Could you please confirm the current strategy
> re., the UIFLOOD .... ID vs.NOID. [when
>supporting SSn-N routing?  In the past you
>srongly opposed ID].

That was very true until the New-N Paradigm.  I used
to very strongly oppose ID and I used to INSIST on
NOID as the correct setting.  But this was so that
stations could use the path of RELAY,WIDEn-N
and their path would be traceable to the first digi.
If ID is on, then that first digi was overwritten and
the path history was lost.

***BUT, under the New-N paradigm, the use of
RELAY,WIDEn-N is bad and so we do not want
to be using that path.  Further without it, then
all packets arrive as simply WIDEn-N without any
information at all where they came from.  So in
this case it is far better to have ID ON so that
packets will at least show us how they arrived.

Further, since UIFLOOD will now be used for
the SSn-N path, we have discovered an even
better way to use ID.   If users use the path of
SS1-1,SSn-N then here is how it will progress
through the state:

SS1-1,SS3-3   original
DIGI1,SS1*,SS3-3   frist hop
DIGI1,DIGI2*,SS3-2  second hop
DIGI1,DIGI3*,SS3-1  third hop
DIGI1,DIGI4,SS3*  forth hop.

Which always shows us where it entered the
net and where it ended up.   With NOID ,
it will simply be:

SS1-1,SS3-3   original
SS1*,SS3-3   frist hop
SS1*,SS3-2  second hop
SS1*,SS3-1  third hop
SS1,SS3*  forth hop.

Which tells us nothing.

Thus, with ID ON, we get FIRST and LAST digi
all the way. This is perfect and even better than
trace for these longer paths.  This
is becasue SSn-N is what users will use in those
situations where they need a big N (say 4 hops)
to get to the corner of a state, yet the packet
will not grow ever larger and larger traced
digi fields.  In this case, only the first and last
digi are identified which is enough for most network
troubleshooting.

So for supporting SSn-N now I strongly support

   UIFLOOD  SS, 30, ID

Where SS is your state or SSS... is your ARRL
section if your state has more than one.

de WB4APR, Bob