[aprssig] transmit on heard

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Sun May 29 10:53:47 EDT 2005

I once programmed my wife's car (using a kpc3) to beacon her position every 20
seconds direct, and every 3 minutes via 3 hops.  Of course this is when I was
the only guy doing aprs in my town.  The result was that the "outside world"
only saw the beacon every 3 minutes.

Wes

Quoting Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu>:

So, the really "smart" beaconing idea I would suggest
the same rates, but change the paths as follows:

1 Hop:  DIRECT then WIDE1-1
2 Hop:  DIRECT, 1HOP, DIRECT, 2HOP
3 Hop:  DIRECT, 1HOP, DIRECT, 2HOP,  DIRECT, 3HOP
4 Hop:  DIRECT, 1HOP, DIRECT, 2HOP,  DIRECT, 3HOP, DIRECT, 4HOP

So for a 1 minute rate and a cross coutry trucker, he would
only be doing a 4 hop path once every 8 minutes, yet
we could see him close by...

de Wb4APR, Bob