[aprssig] APRS LAT/LONG standards

Andre PE1RDW aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Sat May 28 04:45:55 EDT 2005

VE7GDH schreef:

> Standards are great. That is why we have so many of them! One thing to
> keep
> in mind if you are stuck out in the bush (or behind the desk) with no
> other
> tools to do conversions... if you create a waypoint, no matter what
> format
> you normally use, it's an easy matter with most GPS receivers to
> change the
> location format if necessary. This was something we did all of the
> time when
> going back and forth from UTM (paper maps & ground SAR) to DD MM.mm
> when we
> needed too talk to a pilot. They were usually too busy keeping the
> helicopter in the air to do the button pushing on their end. However,
> I'll
> never forget the time the missing person was located and I asked the
> pilot (while he was on the ground) for the coordinates and he gave us
> the lat/long for his own hangar!
>
> So... when are we all going to convert from 360º circles to the new
> metric
> 100º degrees = a circle format? hi
>
> 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

you mean 400 grad format? I have been using that for decades in my
profecional carreer along with co-ordinates in meters from a point just
above paris, known as the dutch "rijks driehoeks net".
y is the easting x is the northing and x is always bigger then y, a
mistake is easely spotted and corrected that way and every construction
worker can use them.
I would love to be able to use the survayor format in aprs because all
profecional dutch maps are based on that including the military maps,
offcourse the military uses a different zero point for each country
because survayor format is a local format.
Talking about gps standards, what datum are we using because in europe
wgs is default but I think the american continent has a different datum
as has  asia.

73 de Andre PE1RDW