[aprssig] APRS LAT/LONG standards

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri May 27 18:49:02 EDT 2005

Standards are great. That is why we have so many of them! One thing to keep
in mind if you are stuck out in the bush (or behind the desk) with no other
tools to do conversions... if you create a waypoint, no matter what format
you normally use, it's an easy matter with most GPS receivers to change the
location format if necessary. This was something we did all of the time when
going back and forth from UTM (paper maps & ground SAR) to DD MM.mm when we
needed too talk to a pilot. They were usually too busy keeping the
helicopter in the air to do the button pushing on their end. However, I'll
never forget the time the missing person was located and I asked the pilot
(while he was on the ground) for the coordinates and he gave us the lat/long
for his own hangar!

So... when are we all going to convert from 360º circles to the new metric
100º degrees = a circle format? hi

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH