[aprssig] APRS LAT/LONG standards

DaveN dbsoft at bendbroadband.com
Fri May 27 23:23:37 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com>
> I also asked about the military choppers, but he couldn't remember
> what their capabilities were with respect to GPS formats.  We've
> been assisted in the past by blackhawks and chinooks from Fort
> Lewis, and by some other type of heavy-lifting chopper from Whidbey
> Island Naval Air Station.  I remember they were capable of something
> other than MGRS in all or nearly all of those cases, probably
> lat/long DD MM.MMM format again.  I don't think we were using UTM
> with any of them.

We just had a mission with support from 2 Military blackhawks and a medical
helo to lift help to, and evacuate, climbers caught in an avalanche on the
North Sister in the Oregon Cascades.   All 3 of them gave us coordinates in
DD MM.MMM.

After 12 landings at basecamp I am still picking sand out of my clothes.

Dave W7PDQ
www.dmapper.com

by the way....  "DMAPPER" displays in DD MM.MMM too.  ;)