[aprssig] Worldwide APRS Digipeater statistics

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed May 25 21:06:05 EDT 2005

>>> ad6nh at arrl.net 5/25/2005 7:12:53 PM >>>
>What is the difference between and L and
>and S digi and when is it appropriate to use
>which overlay?

Sorry, when we first started the New-N Paradigm
we suggested to use "L" because we thought it
would be based on LINKn-N and SSn-N to LIMIT
the flooding.  Hence the "L".  And a lot of
sysops started making the changes early on.

But that was before we figured out that we could
keep WIDEn-N and just use traps to trap out the
big N's.  THus we abandoned the "L" becuse we hope
all digis will support both WIDEn-N and SSn-N and
so those new digis will be "S".    The only digis that
will remain "L" are the ones that just havent gotten
around to changing it to "S" or for some reason are
not going to support the SSn-N routing.

So we hope to see all existing "N" type digis become
"S" digis as the New N-N Paradigm takes hold...

Back on May 6th the New-N digi numbers were:

>  L type digis    (98)   New-N's (some may be S's)
>  S type digis  (113)   New-N's that support SSn-N
>  P type digis    (10)   New-N   Paccomms
>  1 type digis    (13)   New-N   one-hop digis

Now they are:

L = 120
S = 220
P = 14
1 = 24

For 60% growth in the last 3 weeks.  And it was only
a week ago that we finally resolved some of the
settings for the UIDIGI_ROMS so that they can finally
get on with the upgrades..

THings are really looking up.

de Wb4APR, Bob