[aprssig] D700 owners Packet Capability Urgent

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon May 23 18:50:23 EDT 2005

The TNC in the D7 and D700 only support one line
(or frame) at a time, not  the usual 7 frames per
packet that are possible with full-TNC's for doing
bulk transmission of data.  In addition, you cannot
turn off AX.25lvl2 and so the TNC also sends a
poll request between EVERY line or something like that.
So dont use these TNC's for passing bulk data
where efficiency is needed.

Bob

>>> kc5qbc at swbell.net 5/23/2005 6:03:29 PM >>>
I need to know QUICKLY just how well the tnc in the
D700 plays as related to normal packet operations. The
senario is a county wide packet network sending files
and messages between about 50 positions. I've been
told by a few that the TNC is a minimal capable unit
and may not be up to this task. Please give me your
opinion as to whether it would be better to have a
dualband rig and a KPC3/KPC9612/KAMXL or if the D700
is up to this task. Please backup your opinion with
examples of pro or con. I have 24 hours to decide....

KC5QBC Floyd