[aprssig] Building trackers

Keith Kotch kkotch at earthlink.net
Mon May 23 14:21:36 EDT 2005

We just provided communications for the Florida Half Ironman Triathlon at
Disney World yesterday.  This was our 2nd year and this year we added SAG
services to our involvement to provide a need for them.  One of the items we
brought to the table once again was APRS tracking of lead and last athlete
during the bike phase.

In this vain, I don't know why we (APRS community) don't devote more time
towards perfecting tracker packages for public service events and SAR
activities.  By perfecting I mean developing smaller, more compact,
efficient, economical (very relative term) packages.

What specifications should one look for as bare minimum necessities for
those OEM gps engines I see advertised?

Keith, KF4BXT