[aprssig] FW: D-sub connector components

Keith Kotch kkotch at earthlink.net
Mon May 23 14:07:02 EDT 2005

  _____

From: Keith Kotch [mailto:kkotch at earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 1:01 PM
To: 'TAPR APRS Mailing List'
Subject: D-sub connector components

I'm working on portable trackers and need 25 to 9 pin null modems.  I can
use port adapters and null modems or hack serial cables and rewire but I
really want to minimize what's sticking out the back of the TNC.

What I'm looking for are sources for the components to roll my own.  I need
25 to 9 pin shells along with the screws and nuts to secure the adapter to
the tnc and gps cable.  I'm assuming that any of the male 25 or 9 pin solder
or crimp connectors fit the housings/shells.

Does anyone here have any experience with any sources for such animals?

Also, on a similar "roll my own" note, I'm interested in making my own
molded connectors or wye arrangements.  For instance, when making a radio to
tnc cable for an HT that has a mini and sub-mini audio connector, I'd like
to mold a housing to hold the two together and give some better strain
relief.

Anyone with experience/pointers for the homebrewer in molding and potting
electronics?  I'd like info on supplies necessary and technique.

Keith, KF4BXT