[aprssig] NEW WIDEn-N what to do with this??

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Sun May 22 16:24:31 EDT 2005

How about what Javaserver does.... count the total number of possible
hops in the path (in this example it is 7 + 1 + 3 =11 ) and if the total
number of hops is > a number preset by the user, then ignore that packet.

Another option would be to look at TRACEx-y (n-n) and subtract the y
from x to get the number of hops already used.  Then if that number was
greater than the number preset on the digipeater, then do not
digipeat.... so if we set the hop limit to 3, TRACE3-3 would work
because it has 0 hops used.  TRACE7-6 would be OK because it has 1 hop
used.  But TRACE7-2 would not be OK because it has 5 hops used and our
limit in this example is 3.

I prefer the 2nd suggestion because it allows people to run WIDE7-7 and
allows the network to limit the number of hops.

Wes