[aprssig] APRServe??

Glenn Wiebe gswiebe at mb.sympatico.ca
Sun May 22 12:53:16 EDT 2005

Hello all:

In spite many years of APRS (starting with early DOS), I have rarely make use of
the internet features such as APRServe, Findu, etc. functions. Now that I would
like to I'm not having much success. BTW, I'm using WinAPRS, a Kam and a DSL
internet service. I have read "Using APRServe with WinAPRS" authored By N5KOA &
modified by K4HG.

In the WinAPRS folder is a file named aprsxtra.txt which contains the names and
addresses of many servers (I hope I have the terminology correct). The only one
that works for me is:
  "second.aprs.net 10151   APRServe Network - backkup".
A sample of others that don't work - "TNC Open failed" shows up near the bottom
of the screen - are:
www.aprs.net    10151   APRServe Network - Southern Florida
www.fortgirlfriend.com  14501   Tim's Seattle Feed
203.63.158.23   10151   Sydney mainport
24.65.63.228    23      Calgary APRS server ( WinAPRS)
216.58.1.202    10151   Canaprs.net mainport
There are many others. If I use "Settings>TCP/IP connections>Show TCP status
list" when attempting connections, some will show up as "Open>Yes" but stll come
up with "TNC Open failed" down below. I sure could use some help on this,
perhaps a link to some detailed instructions and a list of working servers.

73 de Glenn...VE4GN