[aprssig] Help explaining packets

David L. Martin dlmarti at kc2lcf.net
Wed May 11 15:16:01 EDT 2005

> > Your missing the point, I said I have no need for messages to
> > be gated from the internet.  All my messaging is local, hell
>
> No, you said "I don't understand the need for IGATES to gate to RF at
> all."  Big difference.

If all the IGATES stopped gateing to RF tomorrow, I wouldn't even notice
(other than the traffic in my area would be cut in half).  I do see its
importance to other people.  Thats what I was trying to say.

> > I don't even need a DIGI for that.  In fact my original
> > question was to help me figure out how to send messages
> > without generating alot of traffic.
>
> Simple: Minimize your path.  If you don't need to go through a digi or
> only need to go through one, then set your path accordingly.

In the second original example I did minimize the path, same results.
Since the other station (W2MER) uses its default path to send the ACK,
it still saturates the surrounding network.

> Should no-source-route digipeating be implemented in your area, then
> this will become a non-issue.

I agree.

I'm trying to get the local EOC's to change their paths to "WIDE2-2",
lets see what happens.

--
David L. Martin
w0snj at arrl.net