[aprssig] Help explaining packets

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Wed May 11 13:45:32 EDT 2005

Your original post and question were about third-party packets gated to
RF by Ken's IGate.  You received those packets at your station (hence
your posting of them).  Whether you "consistently" hear his station had
nothing to do with my question.  The question was asked in an attempt to
determine whether UI-View gates to RF packets from stations it hears on
RF.  Your response has nothing to do with that question and was, in
fact, misleading and inaccurate.

> Personnally, I don't understand the need for IGATES to gate
> to RF at all.  But I'm willing to concede that this could be
> important to some people.

Then you don't understand internetworking concepts nor the basic design
concepts and constraints of the UI protocol used by APRS.  As has been
put forth many times before on this SIG and elsewhere, attempts to use
APRS for multihop messaging is at best futile and at worst causing QRM
across wide areas.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net