[aprssig] Help explaining packets

Andre PE1RDW aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Tue May 10 17:14:52 EDT 2005

Keith - VE7GDH schreef:

>Pete AE5PL wrote on 10/05/2005 5:05:53 AM PDT
>

>>What you described is the first criteria that I put forth when I
>>described javAPRSIGate.  The problem that was shown in the original post
>>is regarding the second criteria: an IGate should not gate a message to
>>RF if the _sending_ station has been heard on RF...  In other words, if
>>the IGate sees the sending station on RF, it should assume that the
>>packets don't need to be gated to the same RF environment for that
>>station.  If that criteria is not included in the IGate software, you
>>will have the situation described in the original post: 2 stations
>>within RF range of each other having message packets duplicated on RF by
>>the IGate.
>>

>Later updated... > Should have been "third criteria".
>although I'm not sure if that was to replace the "first criteria" above or the "second criteria" above - hi!
>
>So, re...
>
>W2KB>APU25N,KB2EAR-1*,WIDE3-2:}W0SNJ>APX150,TCPIP,W2KB*::W2MER  :PING1,PING1, PING1{09}
>W2KB>APU25N,KB2EAR-1,N3XKU-15*,WIDE3-1:}W0SNJ>APX150,TCPIP,W2KB*::W2MER    :PING1, PING1, PING1{09}
>
>Was UI-View32 actually gating the station back to RF, or perhaps just digipeating it? If digipeating, perhaps the UI-View32 station needs to adjust the digipeat dupe setting - "dupe seconds" in the digipeater setup. Perhaps examination of the raw data for W0SNJ would determine that. If gating, I agree - it shouldn't be gating something that it already heard direct. I might have been off-track on my first response. I was thinking more of "traffic" (messages, acks) that were directed to a particular station and how UI-View32 determines if the station is "local" or not.
>

>>I was not demeaning UI-View.  It is the IGate in question in the
>>original post and apparently does not use that criteria in its
>>gate-to-RF algorithm.  That's all.
>>

>No problem - I didn't intentionally mean to infer that your comment was demeaning!
>
>73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
>--
>"I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"

this seems very odd to me, on closer examination of these packets it
seems W2KB is putting the franes into APRS-IS (his call is after TCPIP)
and then gates it back to rf.
This is not normal behavior of any igate including ui-view.
My guess is the W2KB has been playing around with his igate.ini, perhaps
his inet to rf list. I see something simular with my aprsd when I set my
own call in the gate2rf list and the aprsd position report gets picked
up by the next igate aprsd will gate it back out to rf, that is also
something that should normaly never happen but becouse of the gate2rf
list happens anyway.

73 de Andre PE1RDW