[aprssig] Help explaining packets

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Tue May 10 08:05:53 EDT 2005

What you described is the first criteria that I put forth when I
described javAPRSIGate.  The problem that was shown in the original post
is regarding the second criteria: an IGate should not gate a message to
RF if the _sending_ station has been heard on RF...  In other words, if
the IGate sees the sending station on RF, it should assume that the
packets don't need to be gated to the same RF environment for that
station.  If that criteria is not included in the IGate software, you
will have the situation described in the original post: 2 stations
within RF range of each other having message packets duplicated on RF by
the IGate.

I was not demeaning UI-View.  It is the IGate in question in the
original post and apparently does not use that criteria in its
gate-to-RF algorithm.  That's all.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net