[aprssig] Setting up a fill in digi

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Mon May 9 11:07:30 EDT 2005

On May 9, 2005, at 9:54 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> If a fill-in-digi is needed ther, then make it
> a WIDE1-1 using a digi that does callsign
> substitituion.

Why aren't we strongly suggesting that any new digi that goes up be
smart enough to do limited n-n, so we can move to a simplified WIDE2-2
(or WIDE3-3) for _all_ stations in the future?  Many home or fill-in
type digis seem to be software based, so this should not be a problem.

FWIW, I have been running WIDE3-3 in my mobile for a couple of weeks
now.  The area digi closest to me is still RELAY only, but I put up a
new digi at my house, which made a huge difference in local coverage in
spite of being a 1/4 wave ground plane at about 15' AGL (and HAAT is
probably negative).

Anyway, if you're in the Huntsville area you can leave RELAY off of
your path and see what happens. It works for me.

There is still plenty of work to do, like RELAY-only digis and fixed
stations with paths like RELAY,WIDE,WIDE,WIDE,WIDE.

-Jason
kg4wsv