[aprssig] D700 Digipeater settings

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri May 6 14:53:04 EDT 2005

>>> mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net 5/6/2005 2:10:14 PM >>>
> If I have a Kenwood TS-2000 that is at a...
>hospital in East TN,...  I think it would be nice to see
>them operational as digi's.
>Thoughts?

There is no single answer, and no one but someone
that has looked at the APRS network in that area,
and ALL the existing digis, and coverages, can
answer that question.  But it is trivial to asses.

Just drive there with your mobile.  If a mobile in
the area of that hospital can get out on APRS, then
the station should not be a digi.  But even that
statement is not totally true unless you asses
everything involved at that site.

Good luck
Bob

On Fri, May 6, 2005 12:55 pm, Robert Bruninga said:
>>I had another question re the UIFLOOD/UITRACE
>>parameters in the Kenwood TM-D700,
>>
>>Do the UITRACE/UIFLOOD parameters operate
>>completely independently of the Digipeater setting
>>on the radio?
>
> You cannot change the settings of the UIFLOOD and
> UITRACE parameters from the front panel, but the
> menu command to turn off digipeating should disable
> all digipeating modes including them.
>
>>I could set UITRACE to WIDE and if I were on an
>> event requiring a 'fill in' digi, any device already
>> programmed with a  WIDE2-2 path would have its
>>packets decremented and digi-ed correctly.
>
> Using an extermal PC to set the D700 UITRACE
> or UIFLOOD paramter to support WIDEn-N is
> dangerous because of the potential for these
> thousands of mobiles to then be accidentally
> left with DIGI on and cause unnecessary QRM.
>
> My recommendation for the D700 is simply:
>
> 1) Permanently set the UITRACE paramter to
> TEMP to support TEMPn-N routing for special
> events and field day but that even if forgotten
> and left on, is still usable, but does not cause
> any added unintentional QRM.
>
> 2) To support local events, use the front panel
> UIDIGI alias list to add WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2
> and WIDE2-1 for the duration of the event,
> and then after the event, use the front panel
> to remove them and turn DIGI off.

William McKeehan
KI4HDU
Internet: mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net