[aprssig] D700 Digipeater settings

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri May 6 12:55:50 EDT 2005

>>> aprssig at ei7ig.org 5/6/2005 11:21:02 AM >>>
>I had another question re the UIFLOOD/UITRACE
>parameters in the Kenwood TM-D700,
>
>Do the UITRACE/UIFLOOD parameters operate
>completely independently of the Digipeater setting
>on the radio?

You cannot change the settings of the UIFLOOD and
UITRACE parameters from the front panel, but the
menu command to turn off digipeating should disable
all digipeating modes including them.

>I could set UITRACE to WIDE and if I were on an
> event requiring a 'fill in' digi, any device already
> programmed with a  WIDE2-2 path would have its
>packets decremented and digi-ed correctly.

Using an extermal PC to set the D700 UITRACE
or UIFLOOD paramter to support WIDEn-N is
dangerous because of the potential for these
thousands of mobiles to then be accidentally
left with DIGI on and cause unnecessary QRM.

My recommendation for the D700 is simply:

1) Permanently set the UITRACE paramter to
TEMP to support TEMPn-N routing for special
events and field day but that even if forgotten
and left on, is still usable, but does not cause
any added unintentional QRM.

2) To support local events, use the front panel
UIDIGI alias list to add WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2
and WIDE2-1 for the duration of the event,
and then after the event, use the front panel
to remove them and turn DIGI off.