[aprssig] SLA Chargers - Battery Question

Jason Creager jason at creager.com
Tue May 3 17:56:14 EDT 2005

On 5/3/2005 at 4:27 PM davenpat at sympatico.ca wrote:

>Basically the same thing available as a kit for $CDN14.95 (<$US12) here
>http://www.projectx.com/Kits/GelCell/UsersGuide.asp.

Cool, thanks very much. That's exactly the item I need. There isn't any
difference to the charger between a Gel Cell and a Sealed Lead Acid, is
there?

Also, since we're talking about batteries, I bought some Yuasa MP2.3-12 12V
2.3Ah SLA batteries for tracker use. Their rated "Stand By Use" charging
stats are 13.5-13.8V and "no limit" on current. (You may see where I'm
going with this.)  Is there anything wrong with hooking it up to an unused
port on my RigRunner? (Fused, of course, but for what amperage?)

I'm perplexed by the "no limit" current. I assume that means that the
battery can't be damaged by too much current when charging at that level.
(The Cyclic Use stats are 14.4-15.0V @ .58A max.)

I don't want to blow anything up, so I'm not doing *anything* until I get
word.

thanks!
- Jason - KC0ERG
http://jason.creager.com		kc0erg at qsl.net 		Las Vegas, NV