[aprssig] APRS Digipeter Design Questions

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue May 3 12:50:22 EDT 2005

>Bob, You are talking about the USA here.
>Not all countries will bother with your "New N
>Paradigm" when the original RELAY WIDE TRACE
>works very well.

"very well" is  a relative term.   It works "terribly"
when you want a system that works with better
reliability under heavy load.  ANyone can see it.
Just look at raw packets and you will see all
the dupes when RELAY and WIDE are used.  For
every dupe, that is wasted air time that can collide
with other desired traffic.

>REMEMBER that the US is only one of a large
>number of countries where there are customers
>that would be interested in the new digipeater.

It has nothing to do with country.  You my choose
to operate an inefficient network because you
are below the threshold and have bandwidth to
spare and can afford.  That is a perfectly valid
position to take.

But if you expect growth, then continuing to operate
your APRS network with the known dupe-generating
problems and allowing it to become further
entrenched is probably not a good long term
strategy.

>> Plesase reveiw the New N Paradigm that is the
>> basis for the future of APRS:

>Again REMEMBER it's not the future for APRS
>in all countries of the world and may never be.
>Some of us will never see more than a few
>hundred APRS stations in our countries. The
>original RELAY WIDE TRACE WIDEn-N & TRACEn-N
>works very well for all these places.

True, but again, now that the problems with a
10 year old obsolete system of RELAY, WIDE
and TRACE are clearly proven, why go to such
lengths to continue to preserve it and to therefore
encourage its continued use, when it will only
be a problem for you in the future?

With complete APRS trackers only costing less than
$100, it would seem to me that you need to be
planning on growth.

Bob