[aprssig] Why RELAY,WIDE... is so bad....

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Thu Mar 31 20:58:11 EST 2005

If it comes out thru a home station, it'll come out like
WIDE2-2*,WIDE2-2, and the first digi that catches it will digi it as
WIDE2-2*,WIDE2-1...  So if a home station were to hear it first, it'd
progress like this:
WIDE2-2,WIDE2-2
WIDE2-2*,WIDE2-2
WIDE2-2*,WIDE2-1
WIDE2-2*,WIDE2-0

If it hits a digi first, it'll come out as WIDE2-1,WIDE2-2.  Of course
it'll just keep going...

WIDE2-2,WIDE2-2
WIDE2-1,WIDE2-2
WIDE2-0*,WIDE2-2  ->now it begins to bounce along, using the 2nd widen-n
WIDE2-0*,WIDE2-1 ->and keeps going and going....
WIDE2-0*,WIDE2-0

Looks like it could go a whole lot further that we'd intend.. but it
wouldn't be ping ponging around the locals.  But what's to stop someone
from using a path of WIDE2-2,WIDE2-2,WIDE2-2,WIDE2-2,WIDE2-2,WIDE2-2 or
worse, WIDE7-7,WIDE7-7,WIDE7-7,WIDE7-7,WIDE7-7,WIDE7-7,WIDE7-7

Although I like the idea of WIDE2-2,WIDE2-2, it ultimately goes further
than we want it to...

BUT.... UITRACE is now supposed to do WIDE for us... so if I send a
packet out W2-2,W2-2,W2-2,W2-2, it would grow longer like this:

W2-2,W2-2,W2-2,W2-2
W2-2*,W2-2,W2-2,W2-2   ->home station digi'ed it as if it were RELAY...
W2-2*,digi1,W2-1,W2-2,W2-2
W2-2*,digi1,digi2,W2-0,W2-2,W2-2
W2-2*,digi1,digi2,W2-0,digi3,W2-1,W2-2
W2-2*,digi1,digi2,W2-0,digi3,digi4,W2-0,W2-2  -> what happens here when
we exceed 7 path elements?

This thread has also showed there is a need to have smarter
"pre-emptive" digipeaters that can look for multiple WIDEn-n's in a path
- and cut them off.

Pete's Javaaprs won't be fooled by my bad example of 7 W7-7's above...
that program counts the total hops in a packet and won't digipeat if
above a threshold.

Digi_ned can do the same thing, a slightly different way.

What about ui-view?

I know the KPC3 digis would be tricked.  But how do they behave when a
UITRACE path grow longer than 7 elements?

What about UIDIGI on the tnc2 clones?

Wes