[aprssig] Why RELAY,WIDE... is so bad....

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Mar 31 18:05:33 EST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> How about a path of    "WIDE1-1, WIDE1-1"    or    "WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2"    ??
>

> Set the alias of the former home "RELAY" digi to WIDE1-1 instead.   If a
> "dumb" home former-RELAY-type digi does the first digipeat, it marks
> WIDE1-1 as used.
>
> Then the true WIDEn-N digi(s) get a shot at the second part of the
> path.   I assume that in the absence of a nearby home digi, a "real"
> WIDEn-N would digi the first hop, then the WIDE2-2 part would cause two
> more digipeats.
>
> The path is compatible with either    first-hop-via-home-station,   or
> with all hops via    n-N-only    true wides and preserves exclusively
> dupe-supressing WIDEn-N type paths.

I could see going for that.  It means the home stations are mostly
silent until they are needed, s most people will wide2-2 in there
instead.  Just the mobiles/portables needing it will have wide1-1 in
the first slot.

This means that you can still get duplicate packets because of the
home digi's, but the hilltop digi's will include it in their
dupe-checking.

Seems to work for what I need!