[aprssig] Optima Batteries?

Brian B. Riley brianbr at mac.com
Thu Mar 31 09:09:55 EST 2005

While various new high efficiency battery technologies have some impact upon
this, the general rule of thumb is ...  "the heavier  the battery the
greater the capacity" ... you need to determine your current requirements
and make your decision.

 Personally I feel that you would be better off with a KPC3(+) a Yaesu
VX150, a 17 AH gelcel, and a couple of sections of Rat Shack mast than
trying to power a D700 for any period of time from even a 75AH battery. 5
watts and 20-30 feet of mast will usually trump 45 watts and 8 feet of
antenna. The overall lightness of the setup I am suggesting also means it
could be carried farther up the mountain to be placed and useful.

--
Cheers ... 73 de brian, n1bq, underhill center, vermont